Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My name is Lea Weinberg, I was born and raised in Israel and now live and create in White Plains, NY. As a second generation to Holocaust survivors and an artist- sculptor, I feel it is my obligation to present a visual message preserving the stories I have personally heard. My childhood fairy tales were my mother’s nostalgic stories about her childhood, the pastoral life with her big family and friendly neighbors before the Second World War. Growing up, I realized that all my mother’s family members, the characters from her stories didn’t survive; yet, I felt I knew them from her vivid stories that brought them to life. My current Solo Exhibition is: MOTHER-SURVIVOR in memory of my mother and many others. My mother’s personal story is intertwined with the tragedy of Human History. My work is inspired by the compelling story of how my mother, 18 years old, found 8 photographs of her family while working as a Victims’ Clothes Sorter in Auschwitz – Birkenau. She succeeded in keeping the photos hidden inside a margarine sandwich until Liberation Day. Before she passed away, my mother gave the 8 photographs to Yad Vashem, Israel.



No comments:

Post a Comment